Law Offices of Sorrel (Sox) Danilowitz - Immigration Law

L-1 Intracompany Transferee
Home | About Our Firm | Areas of Expertise | Sox Danilowitz | Contact Us

L-1 Intracompany Transferee



The L-1 visa permits the transfer to the United States, of a foreign national who is working abroad for a company that has a branch or affiliate in the United States or wants to open a branch or affiliate in the United States.  This visa also permits United States companies with branches or affiliates abroad to transfer their foreign nationals to the United States.  The foreign national must have been employed by the company abroad for at least one year out of the past three years in either a managerial or executive capacity (the L-1A visa), or as a person with specialized knowledge (the L-1B visa).


The L-1 visa may be approved for an initial period of three years.  The L-1A visa may be extended for a maximum period of seven years; the L-1B for five years.  For new branches or affiliates in the United States, the initial period is only one year.  Extensions beyond the initial one year require proof of business activity


The foreign national’s spouse and minor children are eligible for the L-2 visa.  Recent law permits the spouse to work in the United States.


Intracompany transferees under the L-1A visa may apply for the “green card” without going through the labor certification procedure.



Law Offices of Sorrel Danilowitz
488 Madison Ave
Suite 1120
New York, New York 10022
Phone: (212) 758-1626
Fax: (212) 308-8582