Law Offices of Sorrel (Sox) Danilowitz - Immigration Law

R-1 Religious Workers
Home | About Our Firm | Areas of Expertise | Sox Danilowitz | Contact Us

R-1 Religious Workers



The R-1 visa is for a person who has been a member of a religious denomination for at least two years and has a job offer in the United States to work for a nonprofit affiliate of that religious denomination.


The R-1 beneficiary can be either a member of the clergy or a lay religious worker such as a liturgical worker, religious instructor, religious counselor, cantor, catechist, worker in a religious hospital or religious health care facility, missionary, religious translator, or religious broadcaster.


The initial admission cannot exceed three years, with total admission time up to five years.


The R-1 beneficiary’s spouse and unmarried children under age 21 are eligible for the R‑2.  They may not accept employment in the United States, but may study.


Many R‑1 beneficiaries also qualify for the green card as a “special immigrant”without having to go through the labor certification procedure.


Law Offices of Sorrel Danilowitz
488 Madison Ave
Suite 1120
New York, New York 10022
Phone: (212) 758-1626
Fax: (212) 308-8582